- Sector: Tier 1, Tier 2, OEM, OEM, Automotive
- Function: Mechanical Engineer
- Contact: David Catterall
- Contact Email: email@example.com
- Start Date: asap
- Expiry Date: 13 June 2021
- Job Ref: 28561/001_1622796042
Principle Mechanical Engineer
£competitive dependent on experience
We are currently looking for a Principle Mechanical Engineer to join our prestigious client who specialise in combustion engines. This is a permanent role based in the Derbyshire area with a base a competitive salary dependent on experience.
You will be responsible for leading a small team of engineers that will deliver work programmes of internal combustion engines from concept to delivery. You will also support in-house quality, manufacturing and service teams in resolving complex technical issues arising as a result of warranty and / or issues that lead to engineering change as the permanent solution. All in all resulting in a robust product of world class quality.
- Create system and component specifications and design (cascaded from programme targets) - using/commissioning the relevant analysis tools to support data driven design decisions.
- Develop system and component FMEAs, and DVPs.
- Co-ordinate and supervise DVP tests/analyses (analytical, rig, engine and machine).
- Resolve engineering issues using recognised methodologies.
- Support programme gateways and reviews.
- Support achievement of business's quality and warranty targets
- Work in a simultaneous engineering environment to support the development plan, ensuring design for manufacture and assembly.
- Manage suppliers via the APQP process.
- Work with suppliers to deliver prototypes and PPAP parts to schedule, meeting quality and performance requirements
- Lead team members' development and growth - focussing on skills gap analysis, with creation and implementation of development plans (delivering through coaching, regular reviews/appraisals, and formal training).
- Have a degree in an associated mechanical engineering discipline, with a sound understanding of Mechanical Engineering principles (showing an attention to detail, and being data driven).
- Have a strong grasp of the engine product development cycle, and expertise in engine system and component specification, design, development and sign-off (using relevant tools)
- Be experienced in leading a small team of engineers in a product development environment (ideally with an engine manufacturer or Tier 1 supplier), with a level of technical gravitas consistent with the responsibilities of the role. Significant experience / specialism in the engine systems as highlighted before would be preferable.
- Demonstrate good project and supplier management skills, with show good commercial awareness
- Be able to work well under pressure and to meet tight deadlines
- Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly and concisely at all levels
- Show flexibility - the role requires travel to customer and supplier sites
The company are a tier one supplier of combustion engines and have a number of exciting development programmes. You will be working with some of the most bespoke and state of the art processes, which will help you gain new skills and broaden your experience in systems engineering.